Tattooing seems to be a popular business nowadays, and most people want to venture into it. Like any business, a tattoo parlor also needs a license to operate because it charges a fee for the service.
Becoming a licensed tattoo artist is one of a great achievements. You can obtain the tattoo license by visiting the local authority of your state for guidance and filling out relevant forms.
As a professional tattooist, all you need to know is that the authorities will only grant you the license after undergoing a test to demonstrate your proficiency in your profession and your understanding of the business rules and regulations of the US.
The tattoo license will enable your business to operate legally and ensure your customers’ health and safety, thus boosting your credibility.
Do you want to apply for your tattoo license online? Take a ride with me and learn how to obtain your tattoo license with just a few clicks.
Requirements For Obtaining a Tattoo License Online
Tattoo license requirements are state-based. Some states have laxity with their laws, and in this case, tattoo artists do not require licenses to operate. In contrast, other states are strict with their licensing requirements because of the proliferation of the business and the health dangers associated with tattoos. You need to communicate with your state authorities to know their requirements before making an application.
- You should be at least 18 years of age.
- You should have a minimum of 6 months’ experience which also depends on the state.
- You should provide a copy of your government-issued photo ID.
- A certificate of completion on the required bloodline pathogen and communicable diseases course.
Note that you have to complete a three-hour Infection Control Course and an Infection Control Examination conducted by the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene’s Health Academy (DOHMH) during the application process. All are available online.
The test will help check your knowledge about state regulations, sanitation, safety, hygiene, and tattoo laws.
The license will be mailed to you after successfully passing the exam with a minimum score of 70%. You cannot transfer the license to another person.
How to Apply for a Tattoo License Online
Step 1: Check Your State Website For Tattoo License Requirements
Because of the lack of consistency of the states in their tattoo license requirement, get information concerning tattoo licenses from the site based on your state. Also, use the links to additional information to register for the license.
Step 2: Gather Supporting Documents
You need to prepare a soft copy of the documents for upload as per your state requirement. Some of the documents needed include;
- An “Affidavit of Home Address” form, completed by a person you stay with and a recent utility bill or lease in that your name appears to act as proof of your home address.
- A government-issued ID with a photo. It can either be a Driver’s license, a non-driver id, an alien registration card or naturalization certificate, or a passport.
- Valid original Certificate to act as proof of Sales Tax Authority. You can obtain this from your relevant authorities or fill in the form DTF-17 online.
- A completion certificate of bloodline pathogenic and communicable disease course must be current and approved by ADPH.
- Some states will need a completed Apprenticeship Training of 380 Hours or More (380+), a Notarized Application, a Verified Proof of Training Record, and a Certified Copy of Current CPR.
- First Aid certification
- Tattoo art portfolio
- In states like Alabama, you need to include proof of Hepatitis B Vaccination.
Step 3: Select Apply Online.
You need to register your account with the state’s Online Licensing System. To register your account, you have to provide the following information;
- Your name, email address, zip code, phone number, and home address.
- The name of your business in the label trade name.
- An address where you will establish your business in the premise location section providing the floor, booth, or store number.
- Provide the business’s telephone, fax, or email address.
- Enter the date you will start operating your business.
- Enter your date of birth. This is to verify that you are above 18 years.
- Enter your tax state authority ID.
- Enter your security number in the section provided. If you don’t have a security number, use a personal tax identification number. If you have none of the above, you can leave the section blank. No offense.
Lastly, you are required to sign the application before submitting the form. By signing, you agree that the information you’ve provided is true, and in case of anything, you will be responsible. So ensure that whatever information you are feeding into the forms is right to avoid any mishaps.
Ensure the information you’ve provided is correct. Misleading and false information can lead to disqualification, a fine, revocation of the already issued permits, or imprisonment.
Step 4: Upload Supporting Documents
Prepare a soft copy of the documents mentioned in step 2 and upload the files in the section provided.
You can also upload documents like; Body Art, Body Piercing, Tattoo Artist, Permanent Cosmetics License, Renewal, or Reinstatement Application documents. The documents will help certify that you have the relevant skills to carry out the tattoo business.
Ensure all the documents you provide bear your name as provided in the registration.
Step 5: Make Payment
Note that for online tattoo license applications, only credit and debit cards ( American Express, Discover, MasterCard, or Visa) are accepted for payment.
The amount payable may vary depending on the state. Ensure to contact your local authorities for clarification of the account to channel the payment and the amount to be paid.
Finally, you need to declare that you accept the terms and conditions of the state where you are making an application for the license by filling the blank spaces in the form.
If you have any other outstanding fines for DOHMH violations, you will be required to make payment using either a credit or debit card. Ensure you receive the certification check, mandatory for your tattoo license application.
The license will be available online for self-printing with an online account. For online applications, the license will be available after 14 business days. You’ll keep checking your email for notifications.
Sometimes there might be a delay with the license certification due to some reasons. All you need to do is contact your state authority for clarifications.
Note that applying for a tattoo license online is very simple. You need to follow the guidelines we’ve listed and get yourself a license adhering to your state requirements.
There are circumstances under which one can be denied a license. It is possible if;
- If you have ever provided false information when applying for other documents such as a passport, driver’s license, etc., you stand a chance of being denied a license.
- If you have ever been involved in any crimes, you may not be permitted a license. Clarify before making an application to avoid rejection.
The decision to get a license is a great move that will help you increase your customer worthiness and take your business to another step.